Monday 9 August 2010

Saturday 7th August:
My Nani's Birthday, My Nani's Wedding Anniversary and My cousin Annekas Marriage!




The wedding took place at the Balaji Mandir in Birmingham, we were all up at 6! getting ourselves ready for the day! So for the wedding I'd bought 2 saris for the actual wedding from Malaysia, but after opening a suitcase full of my mums old sari's I couldn't resist. Old is gold eh? For the wedding itself I wore a red and white hand painted sari, then in the evening I wore a deep purple and white pure silk printed sari. Utter Gorj <3

We arrived at the wedding just after 10, just in time for the groom to arrive. The whole ceremony was new to me, to be completley honest I don't really ever understand what's going on... But being a close family wedding, I actually payed more attention :)



There was a little ritual they did as he entered, then as soon as he stepped on the Mandip... It was our job to steal his shoes :D It's a tradition thing, the cousins & sister of the brides side steal the shoes of the groom... and don't give it him back until he gives us money! His friends got to it first though... so we spent the first part chasing after his friends through the carpark in saris and heels! I honestly thought my sari was going to fall off! lol. One of the guys eventually gave in and gave us 'one' shoe, he claims it was because he felt sorry for us with our heels... personally I think he just got tired of running!


One of the guys bless him, slipped and fell over. I didn't realise how bad it was until I saw him at the reception in the evening with a walking stick!!


We managed to get the other shoe, thanks to the photographer! Then we grabbed the car keys of Mama and hid them in his car :) We then came back into the hall and sat in our seats as the ceremony began... There were some things the groom had to do before the bride (my cousin) entered. And OMG she looked stunning!! Her outfit was so beautfiul... I want it!! She entered the hall with my Mama and Mami (uncle and aunt). They did the full cereony including walking around the fire :D They looked stunning together! and their outfits were amazing. Both Sanjay and Annekas. The priest ties their chunaris together,and I can't even explain how stunning it looked when they were standing next to each other.



I can't believe she's not a Shah anymore! It hit me when she changed her last name on facebook!



After the wedding was over, people gathered upstairs for some good fooood!! I think we were all hungry! and then individually everyone left a video message for them outside. The weather was a bit hit and miss, but luckily the sun was shining when the photographs were taken outdside.. :D

The Vidai took place after lunch. Both families gathered in a line, as the bride says goodbye to her family... It makes it official that she's part of the grooms family now. Everyone got really emotional, I was looking around me and everyone was in tears. As she walked through the line we all gathered behind her to walk out with her and say goodbye at the car. Another small little tradition... Us cousins had to stand in front of the car, and not let them go until Sanjay bribes us with some money... :) My money got spent on a round of drinks at the damn bar!



Wedding Over.



Me and mum went back to Nottingham for literally... a quick half an hour change before driving back upto Birmingham again for the reception...Changing your sari, your make up and bangles in half an hour is stressful! lol... My bangles were already half enough to get of. like seriously, I have cuts all over my hands from them! But we made it back for the reception in time...

I was dancing all night... and could feel how unfit I was after the first 5minutes lol, but I carried on for the full 3/4 hours... Happy Days!
Everyone looked stunning, and it was the perfect day. I had such a good time, and wish them both all the happiness in the world! I didn't want the night to end! Seeing all our family together was so nice! and hope it happens again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment